Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Henryk Mikolaj Górecki - Symphony no. 3


I will admit, my grounding in classical music is... patchy, to say the least. Sure I've heard the greats, and know some of their "greatest" pieces, but considering the huge body of work that most of those composers have to their name, I have only sampled a fragment of the world of classical music. Anyways, even with my limited knowledge, I can recognize when something is special.

The special something in this case, is Polish composer Henryk Górecki's Symphony no. 3.

A single Soprano voice is set against a brooding, minimalist backdrop, creating one of the most emotive pieces I have ever heard. The dynamic range is quite spectacular, and when it reaches a climax, it really thunders.

Beautiful.


Symphony no. 3

No comments:

Post a Comment