Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Japan and its Awesomeness... pt I

Japan!



That's right, Japan日本. The land of the rising sun. Basically the coolest place on earth. By now you might have guessed that I have a certain soft spot for the country... and its culture, cars, food, music, and women; though I will elaborate on this last one in pt III (that's right, there's three parts, baby). I went to Japan on a school trip, basically like a one-way exchange, just over a year ago. It was only for two weeks, and while I didn't get to see a lot of the country, I still enjoyed it thoroughly. That picture above, is of Mito, the larger city close to where I stayed. The Japanese think this is a very small city, pretty much just a town... what the...? And by now I bet you are wondering "did he really take that magnificent photo?", and the answer is yes, yes I did. And the banner at the top of the screen is a photo I took also, whilst I was having green tea in a stone garden. 

Anyway, enough masturbatory antics, let's get to some Japanese tunes.

Mono

Mono are of course one of the biggest post-rock bands out there at the moment, playing a fairly straight-forward brand of post-rock, though with strong classical influence. What makes them stand out above the rest of the bands playing this fairly standard style is that they execute it better than just about anyone out there. Their latest album, Hymn To The Immortal Wind, was recorded with a 28 piece orchestra too. Epic? I think that's an understatement. Also, I was lucky enough to see them live about a month ago, and it was quite an incredible performance; I would say they are one of the best bands I have seen live. So without further ado, here are some tasty tunes for your listening pleasure.



stay tuned for parts II and III...

No comments:

Post a Comment